I  get many requests for help in finding  a breeder.  When I was looking for a puppy, I did not know where to start.  The first thing I did was check the local dog pounds to see what they had.  I  called several and none of  them had any puppies at the time.  So, I started an “informational search” to see if I could determine what breed would be best for our family.  I had actually thought the Cavalier King Charles sounded really good and while trying to find out as much information about  them as I could I happened to stumble across something about a Cavachon.  Well, one look at a picture of one and it was love at first sight!  Besides looks, however, the breed we chose needed to have good qualities that fit our family and our lifestyle.  The more I read about Cavachons, the more excited I got and knew for absolute certain that a Cavachon was the right dog for us.

Once I finally settled on the breed of puppy we wanted I did an internet search for Cavachons breeders but did not find too many, and no local ones.   I started looking at a couple of the more popular puppy adoption web sites.   I made a list of potential puppies and potential breeders.  Since there were none nearby, I knew I would either have to drive (alot) or have the little guy shipped.

Once I had my list, I tried to do research on the breeders going so far as to find the addresses (sometimes that was difficult) and using google maps satellite views to zoom in on the property to see what it looked like!  I was so nervous about getting a puppy mill dog.  Then, I called each of the breeders, telling them the puppy(s) I was interested in.  I basically interviewed the breeder,  I had searched the internet to help me figure out what I should ask.  I had a list of questions ready, asked all of them, and took notes.  Some breeders did not let a customer  visit their place, that was an immediate red flag for me – I would want to be able to see the place where my puppy was born and nurtured the first few weeks of it’s life.  Even though I knew I could not visit most of the places, I wanted to know that that would have been an option  – I did not start out telling them I would not be able to go there.

I also asked about the parents of the puppy I was interested in – size, age, health, # of litters, anything else I could think of.  I asked for pictures of the parents and a current picture of the puppy to be sent to me.   If someone did not cooperate with my requests, again, it raised a red flag.

I  wanted to know if Cavachons were the only type of puppies they bred.   That would not necessarily have been a deal breaker, but a breeder who is completely devoted to only Cavachons was my preference.

Did they breed only F1 Cavachons?  THIS I felt was very important.

I tried to find reviews, but most of the time the only testimonials were on the web site and I did not necessarily trust  those, a breeder can post whatever they want on their web site and make it look real.

I ended up choosing a place that was in Iowa , I live in Ohio.  The owners were a husband and wife team.  To this day, I do not know much about the actual home, but in talking with them on the phone several – make that many – times, I was content with all of the info and conversations we had.  They never made me feel like I was bothering them and welcomed my calls.  I could often hear puppies in the background and I liked that, I figured it meant they were in the house.  They would return my call if I left a message. They worked with me on getting Kasey on the  airline and flight I asked for.

The puppy that was first on our list was actually gone by the time I made up my mind to pick the breeder that I did.   I was very, very sad, but we knew we had better hurry and make our second choice quickly.  Luckily Kasey (Casey back then) was still there and we put our deposit down immediately – I know now that is how it was meant to be

There are many rules about flying a puppy, they actually go as cargo.  A breeder who ships their puppies needs to be familiar with those rules.   The part of the plane they are in is temperature controlled but the outside temperatures still have mandatory high and low limits in order to transport them.  The puppy also has to be at least 8 weeks old.  We had Kasey shipped to us the day he turned 8 weeks as we were so anxious to get him.

Our story ended very well!  We got a perfect little puppy who greatly enriches our lives every single day!

I know there are things I missed here.  I will add more as time goes on, no doubt!

209 Responses to “Finding a Cavachon Breeder: Some Questions to Ask”

• Tara says:

Hi I just got a 9 week old Cavachon puppy I was just wondering how often do I feed him?

• Skip says:

I live in Las Cruces, NM. Yesterday, my wife found a Cavashon in our back yard “doing his business”. We brought him inside and over the next hour just fell in love with him. We took him to the nearby animal shelter, and sure enough – he had a chip on him. So we had to give him back to the owner. My question is, are there any Cavachon breeding places nearby us? Answers would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

• Judy says:

I live in Cleveland, Oh and interested in Cavachon puppy. I heard there is a excellent breeder in Akron Oh, but I am unable to locate this breeder. Does anyone know who this may be? I would also be interested in other recommendation in the Cleveland Oh area of a reputable breeder. Thank you

Christina P. from MA Replied:

All reputable Breeders of Cavachons should be able to provide you with health certifications for:

Mitral Valve Defect for the King Charles Cavalier (sire for Cavachons) This test should be done annually and certified by a Cardiac Specialist. Poorly Bred Cavaliers can carry the gene for this serious disorder.

Eye Exam done by a Canine Opthamologist for both the Bichon (mother for Cavachons) and also for the King Charles Cavalier (sire for Cabachons). This test and certification should be done annually by a Canine Opthamologist.

Annual Exam for Luxating Patallas – Again, this should be done for both parent dogs on an Annual Basis.

Any breeder of Cavachons who will not provide you with a hard copy of these Certifications is not a responsible Breeder.

We got our Cavachon from The Monarchy in Massachusetts. They do all these certifications for their parent dogs. They also fly their puppies out in the regular cabin with a courier for the same price the airlines charge! We were very happy with them. – Christina P from Massachusetts

• Judy says:

I m looking for a reputable Cavachon breeder in the Cleveland, Oh area. I heard there was an excellent breeder in Akron, but can’t seem to locate. I would appreciate any information, regarding or Cleveland.

• Lori Turner says:

Very confusing info. We are looking to add a cavachon to our family. Was looking at Century Farm but many are saying PUPPY MILL. Anyone heard or experienced any pups from Ballyhara cavachons or Precious Paws Cavachons?

Kim Richter Replied:

Century Farm IS NOT A Puppy Mill !
    I just got a beautiful little girl puppy from them. Rex and Deb Meyer are knowledgeable and very kind. All the dogs were clean, happy and very well cared for. I did talk to my vet about Century Farm and she also told me that they were not a mill.
    Deb and Rex are two people who genuinely love dogs and have incorporated their passion into a business which provides loving and well socialized companions to many homes. I was prepared to go there, which is a five hour drive, and come home without a dog if they were a mill. I am very happy to say that they are not. We are so pleased and in love with our new little girl. I whole heartily recommend Century Farms to anyone who wants a beautiful, intelligent, healthy and fun loving companion to join their family.

Don Replied:

We have had a female Cav puppy, Gracie, from Ballyhara in our home or two weeks now. She’s adorable, of course, as are all puppies, but what is striking to me is that she adapted to our home so quickly with little to no separation anxiety, and due to the program Keely, at Ballyhara, administers to her puppies, our pup has no aversion to handling her paws, examining her teeth, inspecting her ears, etc. Also, she is so smart and attentive,… for example, she learned to fetch a ball (and bring it back to me) at only 9 weeks of age. I plan to get our little Gracie a little brother in year, or so and will go back to Ballyhara when the time comes.

• Jessica Schmidt says:

Hi there! We absolutely LOVE cavachons! We’re located in the Chicago area, and we are in search of a littler that is due in the fall! I would appreciate any breeders in a 5 hours radius! Thanks!!

• nancy hamilton says:

Iam looking for a “Cavachon in the Atlanta Ga area-any suggestions?
    Thanks

• nancy hamilton says:

I am looking for a Cavachon in the Atlanta Ga area. – any suggedtions?

• Kcarico says:

Does anyone know of a good Cavachon breeder in Missouri? Preferably the Kansas City area?

• Christina says:

We also purchased an absolutely gorgeous and healthy Cavachon from Melanie @ The Monarchy in Massachusetts. They actually flew the puppy to us inside the cabin of the plane. We were in Fla at the time. They do work with you on paying the balance of the cost of the puppy, at whatever is convenient. They are awesome to work with. They also test (for genetic issues) the Cavaliers and Bichons for genetic faults and they know that the parents of their breeder dogs have been tested as well. The Cavaliers are examined yearly by a Cardiac Specialist and certified heart healthy, and all the parent dogs are examined by a Canine Ophthalmologist on a yearly basis for eye health certification, their patella are checked annually and hip conformation. The Monarchy spares no expense to be absolutely certain of the health of their parent dogs. All their parent dogs live with them right inside their home and they are doted on and experience a loving home. I may buy a second Cavachon from them. Good luck! Christina P. (P.S. A two year guarantee against serious genetic faults should be given by any Breeder)

• Sherry says:

Hello, I am looking for a breeder in Columbus or near Columbus Ohio. Any suggestions. Thank you

Drew Replied:

I got my cavachon from Briarthorn Designer Cavachons in Kent Ohio. He’s very playful, follows me around the house, has the best personality. Any sleeps through the night!

Suzanne Replied:

I am not really sure how far you are from Lapeer MI, but I love in Boston and got my beautiful Cavachon Chloe from Lynne at Smooch My Pups. I had her flown I’m yesterday and it is one of the best decisions I have made. Yesterday Lynne sent me, via Delta, the most amazing gift. My precious Chloe, from the moment I took her out of the crate she was affectionate and stole my heart. I took her to my vet today (whom I have trusted for over 20 years) and she said she could see that she was bred by a A+ breeder. I would not hesitate for a moment to get a puppy from Smooch my Pups. Lynne was so patient and helpful with all my worries, I probably drove her a bit crazy ,but she never let on and she made the process a pleasure.

• Jen says:

I would like to know where in Iowa you got your Cavachon, I live in Iowa and have fallen in love with the breed and we are looking for a wonderful new addition to our family. Thank you!

Pat Replied:

We have a male cavashon Bailey who was 6 months old and I wanted a companion for him. I researched breeders and narrowed it to 3. we ended up choosing Lynne Kaiser and now have Lexi, she is a sweet adorable perfect little girl. i spoke with Lynne several times and decided to have Lexi flown to us.I was nervous about having Lexi flown to us but she is such an easygoing dog she did fabulous.I contacted Lynne the first couple of days as Lexi was adjusting to her new environment and she was very helpful.Bailey and Lexi are inseparable.My family thinks it is the best thing I ever did.I think so too!

• Haley says:

Did you ever get your cavachon? We are about to get 2 Foxglove ‘rehomed’ little boys, for $800. 1 year old. We wanted one, but she wanted to rehome both, although she said they could be separated no problem. Let me know if you may be interested.

• Haley says:

Did you ever get your cavachon? I know a breeder in FL if you are still interested.

• wavy gravy says:

we got our beautiful little girl from lynne kaiser at smoochmypups.com. lynne is awesome, if you are looking for a puppy from a reputable breeder for a fair price, look no further. we drove over 5 hours to lynnes home in michigan where we not only met lynne and her husband, but our new puppys mom and dad as well!

i researched the internet for a breeder of cavachons within one days drive and spoke with countless people and numerous breeders… along the way i came across some negative information about lynne on the internet and almost crossed her right off my list… but for some reason, i called her anyway. i am soooo grateful that i did, after speaking with her i knew almost immediately that she was the one i wanted to get our puppy from. i don’t know how anyone could refer to her as a puppy mill, that couldn’t be further from the truth, she breeds these puppies right in her home, we have been there… look her up on facebook, the photo she put on her smooch my pups page is of us on the staircase in her house.

anyway, our experience with lynn was so wonderful that i wanted to get out there and defend her from these false accusations… our puppy couldn’t be sweeter, she is so friendly and outgoing, and just loves being around people and playing and snuggling and yes… giving smooches!

i am certain there are other breeders out there that are just as great, but if you are looking for a recommendation for a puppy raised in someones home… i recommend you contact lynne.

• Michelle says:

We are looking for a cavachon puppy. We are looking at three breeders – Monarch, Gleneden and Briarthorn. Can anyone provide their thoughts and experiences with any of these three breeders? Also, if there any other great breeders, please do let me know.

Thanks a ton for your thoughts.

H Replied:

Hi Michelle, I came across all 3 breeders as well. I think it was Monarch who has on their website a warning about paying upfront in full, BEFORE delivery as a warning sign. What’s interesting to me about that is if you look at their website where they discuss payment and guarantees they say that is their process. So I’m not sure what to make of that. Perhaps that’s not how they operate but it is a question I’ll be asking if I choose to go with them.

Karen Replied:

Hi Michelle, I got my cavachon from Monarch Cavachons in MA. I do have to say that Emmy has the Best Personality!!! She absolutely loves everyone!!! I thought Melanie, the owner of Monarch, was lovely. She kept in touch and sent out pictures constantly while I was waiting for Emmy, and if you had any questions, she was right there to answer them all. I would definitely buy from her again, in fact I just might in 1-2 years. Emmy is almost 9 months, and is a complete joy. She loves all people, and dogs big and small!! Please let me know how it goes….

Karen

Becky Replied:

Hi Michelle,

I was also looking at Monarch and Briarthorn. I decided to go with Briarthorn and Abby is a absolute babydoll! We couldn’t be happier! Good luck!

Becky

• Maureen says:

My 2 year old cavachons hs recently begun showing aggression towards other dogs. She has always gotten along well with other dogs and has been well socialized. Has anybody else had this problem with their caeca hon?

• Anonymous says:

I too am considering purchasing a puppy from Silver Paw Cavachons. Did you ever hear back from anyone about this breeder? Did you end up getting a puppy from them? How was your experience?

• Jill says:

I am front Ohio and looking for a cavachon. I have looked on a couple of sites, but find $3,000-$5,000 a litte pricey. I want a local breeder so I can meet the puppy before the purchase. Please help

• Shirley Quinn says:

I am an older women but a walker and very active. I have recently had to put down my 15 year old English wire haired. In surveying possible new dogs I have come to know and really like the attributes of a Cavachon. However, I don’t think is it fair to take on a puppy. Does anyone have any ideas about how to find an adult Cavachon to adopt? thanks.

• Kathy says:

Looking for a recommendation for a reputable breeder in WA or OR or even British Columbia. Thanks

Diana Replied:

kathy, Did you find a breeder in OR or WA? I’m looking as well.

Anonymous Replied:

Hi. I saw your posting and am also looking for a Cavachon in Washington. I found Star View Kennel
    online. Anyone have any experience with them? Thanks!

• Andrew says:

Just saw our first Cavachon and my family fell in love. We are now determined to find the perfect puppy from the perfect breeder. Does anyone know anything about Three Oaks Farm. We have searched, and researched different breeders but have not found much on this particular breeder out of South Carolina. One concern: breeder offers 72 hour health guarantee and 1 year genetic guarantee. Is this standard?

• Anne says:

Has anyone bought from AE Kennels, Ga or Cavachons by Design, TN? Or have any helpful info?
    Champion bloodlines, hybrid vigor but no health cert for Cavalier, etc-it’s tricky selection! Thank you.

Sarah Replied:

I have heard of Cavachons By Des. but I found more reasonable puppies at Smoochmypups.com. I had done a lot of research and wanted an in home breeder not one that raised the puppies somewhere else and brought them to the house. Lynne Kaiser was great to work with. We were able to visit with the parents and interact with the puppies. She has beautiful puppies and they are all so loving and playful. You can tell they are well taken care of. Lynne’s dogs were beautiful too and really nice. She even showed us the tricks that the dad knows. LOL! We fell in love with a puppy and adopted one. We took him to our vet and he was so impressed with the quality and health of him he asked for the breeder’s info so he could refer her to another client. We are definitely happy with Lynne Kaiser and Smoochmypups in Michigan and will go back to them when we are ready for another puppy! I know that she ships puppies all over to so no matter where you are you can adopt a sweet, healthy puppy from her. Hope this helps!

Sabrina Replied:

We bought our beautiful pup from Yvonne at Cavachons by Design. From the beginning she was very open to answering any of our questions and sent us tons of info. on house training, crate training, grooming, etc. We could not be happier with our Bentley! He is almost 6 months old now and has been so so quick to learn! He is in great health, has the most amazing temperment (so sweet, laid back and hilarious!) and was very quick to adjust to our household. Since having him quite a few people have asked where he came from and we are always happy to refer them to Cavachons by Design.

• AMWilliams says:

Hey All,

Anyone familiar with a breeder Lisa’s Fancy Paws out of Bakersfield, California?

Anna Williams Replied:

I have called Lisa twice ( talked once to her adult daughter and once to her- they both breed the cavachon-)and they are welcoming me to visit their place. I’m going Monday April 14. I can let you know how it goes if you want.

Rachel Replied:

How did your visit go?

• AMWilliams says:

Hi Jill,

Which CA breeder are you refering too – thinking about a cavachon from Lisa’s Fancy Paws in Bakersfield?

• Denise G says:

Thank you! Yes she is still just going anywhere in the house…seems clueless!! Also, she is sooooo yappy! Not sure I would have went this route if I had known. She constantly yaps, chews, poops in the house, and has even nipped my 2 year old a few times! We are trying to instill good behavior and are hoping this is just a puppy thing! did you ever try to contact Terry again?? I am quite shocked at how she never returned my calls or emails!! These puppies were not cheap!!

Rachel Replied:

Hi,

Did she ever get back to you? How is your dog doing now?

Thanks

Haley Replied:

Denise, how is the puppy doing now? We are getting 2 boys from a woman who originally got them from Foxglove. She said they are amazing dogs! Is yours still yappy? That’s one thing that would drive me crazy, lol!

• sarah says:

Does anyone know if two male Cavachons work well. I have a 4 1/2 male, and am thinking about getting another male. Any thoughts about 2 males together. Some say get a female, others say it doesn’t matter.

Heidi Replied:

We have to male Cavachons and they are the best of buds.

• Susan says:

I have now spoken with Sandy at Rose Gate and Carrie at Burrow Kountry Kennel. I was more impressed with Sandy and when I asked Carrie about organic food, she told me that was garbage.
    That kind of threw me. I would have to fly to Arkansas to pick up a pup there, but she seemed so nice and took a lot of time with me on the phone and said she would stay in touch with me…
    Any thoughts? Also about Riverside?
    Thanks again. So hard to make the right decision with all the info on the net.

Gertie's Human Replied:

Hi Susan – there is a Cavachon Forum on Facebook. A few of the members are very pleased with their Cavachon from Rosegate. I purchased my Cavachon (Gertie) from Tip of the Ozarks. Karen is the owner.

• Susan says:

I found the breeder Burrow Kountry Kennel. They have a cava chon I might consider. I thought I saw their name on this site. Has anyone had any experience with them?
    I would so appreciate the feedback.

Susan Replied:

This is Susan again. I have not had a chance to look for a puppy for over a week or so, and I happened on three really cuter cavachons from puppyavenuekennels in san diego California. Since I know some referrals or letters can be placed, I was wondering does any one know about this breeder. All, but one review was very good.
    Please provide responses if you can help. This site has been so helpful.
    Thank you all so much.
    Susan

• Pk says:

Agreed. We have 2 from Terry, and perhaps the more expensive pups get more interaction with her responses. I too tried to contact her, after a purchase, but to no response. My oldest is 5, and I have watched her prices go higher and higher. They are nice dogs, but you don’t see any pedigree info on parents listed. That being said. The lower cost pups are going to be just as sweet tempered as the $$$$ ones. Good luck.