Cavachon Groomer

Haircuts

If you have had your Cavachon for at least 6 months……probably 9 or more in most cases……your puppy has probably had a haircut by now or in need of one.  I originally thought I would be performing that task myself, I even bought clippers.  I have two boys that I had given haircuts to for a very long time.  But, when the time came for a trim for Kasey, I was fearful of approaching this pooch with clippers!  He was so darn cute, I just could not do it!  I had been trimming his toenails all along, and had no problem with that.  The haircut though, I (wisely) chickened out on!  I found a local groomer, was very happy with her, and still use her to this day.  We now are on a schedule of getting a haircut about every 9 weeks.  Kasey looks cute with the long hair, but it gets difficult to keep up with, as the longer it gets the more frequent combing is required.

Combing

The baby puppy hair is not very difficult to keep up with but I still recommend you brush or comb your puppy frequently right from the start. Trust me, they will come to love that time with you!  Later on you will be grateful you got them used to it.  As your puppy gets older, the hair gets thicker and tangles more easily.

As Kasey got older, I found using a metal comb worked best.  Here is the one we now have:

Cavachon CombThe description for it said “recommended by professional groomers, the smooth rounded teeth on this comb are gentle to the dog’s skin.”  The teeth are wider at one end and closer together at the other.  The wide teeth work well for a quick comb.  The closer teeth make his coat fluffier and softer.

Kasey is now 3 years old.  Right after grooming we can go at least a week and as much as 2 weeks without combing if we want to.  Then, it is once every 4 or 5 days for a couple weeks, getting any “snarls” in between as they come up.  When we are about 4 – 5 weeks out from the last grooming….our combing will happen every couple of days when all goes well.  If it is longer than that, we usually have to use our “mat comb” in a couple of places, which is an awesome tool and totally saves the day- painlessly!  I just recently got this and am so glad I did.  There were times in the past that I would have to resort to cutting out a mat to save Kasey the pain of trying to comb it out.   Here is what it looks like:

Cavachon Dog CombThe description on this was “Mat Removing Comb has multiple stainless steel blades for quick and easy removal of severe mats and tangles.”

Kasey tends to gets “mats” in the arm/leg pit area, and, sometimes, in his long ear hair.  As much as I think I do a really good job keeping up with the tangled hair, I can find a giant tangle the day after we spent a couple of hours on the couch getting combed (if there is something good on TV, we are very content and I just keep combing him J ).

On the area around his eyes I have found that using an eyelash comb works great.  I can easily comb that area and the small comb makes it much safer.  I bought a new one that I use only on Kasey, that should go without saying!

I have to say when I bring out the combs, I call Kasey, I take off his collar, and he is great on my lap for as long as I want to comb him.  However – when I give him the word that we are done – he is out of there and waiting at the treat drawer!   After treats, I call him back for his collar, and he is there, again!  Usually this all takes place late evening, and he is then a happy guy and off to bed.

A Cavachon is probably more high maintenance in the grooming department than many other breeds.  You will need to comb him often to keep his coat looking its best and tangle free.  Always comb your Cavachon before a bath.  As I said in the beginning I started with combing Kasey very soon after we got him.  He has never looked at this time as anything but a bonding time for us.  He has never resisted or balked at me when I bring the combs out.  In fact, he jumps up on the couch knowing it is “Kasey/mommy time!”  I have, however, found that it does take the right tools to make the experience comfortable for your dog, especially once the hair starts getting longer.

102 Responses to “How to Groom Your Cavachon: Haircuts and Combing”

• Maureen says:

My beautiful Cavachon is now 21 months old. We have had her since she was 9 weeks old. She attended puppy play groups and obedience training classes. She is super friendly and always has been except lately she has become less tolerant of other dogs. She now barks at bigger dogs that she doesn’t know. (She never did this before). This started when she was about 18 months old. Before that she loved other dogs and played happily with any dog or puppy. Now while she still likes other dogs, she sometimes gets growly and snappy towards them even with those who are her best friends. Is this common?

Daniel Replied:

I got Mirzak on my 70th birthday. He is now 9 months old and is the best companion for long walks. He is very smart and was house trained in 2 days. He enjoys being brushed and is extremely clean and keeps his eating area very tidy. He pays attention when I teach him a command and never does a mistake twice. His loves being in the car with me and is intrigued by the traffic lights. He loves toys and has plenty of them and makes sure to have some in every room in the house. It is such a joy to have him.

• Rose says:

My grandson helped me pick out our cavachon puppy CC. She right away came to us at four weeks old. We knew she was the one! We (four grandchildren & I) visited her a couple times a week until we were able to bring her home. She is now eight months old, she is crate trained, is house trained for the most part, but we have had some difficulties with her jumping up in our faces & nipping at us. She also has chewed/destroyed a few things. She is exercised twice daily. She can be so loving. She is so smart in many different ways but we are frustrated & concerned that she is not outgrowing these issues. Open for ideas!

Michele Replied:

My Cavachon furry friend, Ryder, chewed a few pairs of shoes and such when he was teething and up to about a year. I made sure that I used a stern voice in saying, “no” when I caught him in the act, but otherwise, just kept him from them, and he eventually just lost interest. In my experience, he is very loving and loyal, which makes him unhappy when I have to scold him. He is 2, and now knows all of my commands, tones, and key words, to all of which he responds quite well. (especially having anything to do with food, or ball!)
    Hope you can keep your patience and your love for your fuzz ball!

• linda (Scotland) says:

our cavachon Belle is now six months old and has been teething for a while now. The problem is her appetite …almost non existent. Is this due to teething and is it a common problem. great site by the way.

Sarah Replied:

My cavachon Sam has a variable appetite, I often temp him with beef mince and rice, he also likes to eat in his cage away from distraction

lisa Replied:

Hi, my cavachon is 2 and half now and became a fussy eater when lost her baby teeth, we had her spaded at 10mths and it has helped, she is still fussy but does eat all her whole meals now ..

Michele Replied:

Mine is also 2, and he is quite picky about kibble. He has made it very clear that he would much rather munch some fresh homemade dog food than any store bought stuff. He also enjoys the treats of dried sweet potato or banana wrapped in dried chicken.
    Good luck!

• linda thurlwell says:

• Fiona says:

Hi does anybody know how to get rid of tear stains ? We have tried everything.

Allison Replied:

I used the solution used for cleaning contact lenses. It took a few times of use, and I had to keep up with it, but it worked great. A great tip for after cleaning the tear stains, use a small amount of vasoline on the area so the new tears run off! Works great , just don’t go overboard. Good luck, I hope you enjoy your dog as much as I do!

Allison Replied:

Oh and I forgot to mention, if you have hard water, try to get “soft” water or bottled water without a lot of minerals, seems to be the minerals in the water some say that will give the orange appearance of the tears!

lisa Replied:

Hi, a product called angel eyes worked for my cavachon, but also heard it helps if the drink distilled water..

• michellef. says:

Our cavachon Oliver is now 4 mos. old. He seems to be loosing his puppy hair and even has bald spots. Is this normal?

• Anonymous says:

we got a cavachon for our daughters 12th birthday and she loves her. However my sin got a labradoodle pup. they playfight together and Casey yaps and barks a lot. My sin sats that she has the small dog syndrome . Is this normal behavior?

• denise says:

my husband and i married 39 years! have just bought our first dog we thought very carefully! and decided the cavachon was just right words cannot describe how amazing our roxy is she is the most bright and loving little puppy now 4 months old we are totally besotted and feel so lucky to have her everyone she meets loves her and our 5 grandchildren adore her love these websites as they all led us to choose the most adorable addition to our family thanks for tips on grooming.

Anonymous Replied:

I recently remarried and my husband and I got our wee Cavachon puppy in July. Robbie is four months old now and the joy of our lives. Our grown up children all love him he is a fantastic little guy. We can’t remember life before Robbie. His first haircut is soon and I don’t want him to get to short a cut so if anyone has photographs of their groomed Cavashon I would love to see the results

• Deb says:

We have been doing a lot of research on dogs and deciding which dog we would like. I like the traits of the Cavashons. I would like to ask though, if those of you that own Cavashons, have you heard of “loose” kneecaps? If so, is this a common thing with Cavashons?

Lori Replied:

I have never heard of “loose kneecaps” and hopefully it will not be something that I need to learn about in the future! As far as I know it is not a common thing with Cavachons.

KG in NJ Replied:

Loose kneecaps are apparently common in both Cavaliers and Bichons, so it’s something the Cavachons are prone to as well. Our vet noticed that one of our puppy’s knees seemed a bit loose, but he didn’t seem too concerned that this would affect her lifestyle all that much. I don’t think it requires any sort of surgery to fix, though I’m not entirely sure on that. It sounds like in most cases, if it turns out to be a problem, it’s more of a minor nuisance than a serious condition. Still, something to be aware of, since I’m sure it can be a bigger issue in some dogs.

Anonymous Replied:

My Cavachon is 1.5 years old, she has “luxating patellas” meaning her knee caps “dislocate”. It is something that is common in small dog breeds. She did injure her left knee cap which is how we found out about the problem. The condition is usually graded on a scale of 1-4 (4 being the worst) and some cases do require surgery to fix.

My pup is doing well so far and is only about a 1 on the scale (meaning her knee caps pop out of place, but pop right back in). That being said, she may still require surgery down the road to fix the problem.

• Berni says:

Hi, my son got a lovely cavachon and he is now 8months old. He loves to play outside and can get dirty. I was told only to wash him at the most once a month otherwise i would wash out the natural oil in his coat. I find it very hard to leave it that long without bathing him and his coat is more wirey than furry. Have i been washing him too much,?

Lisa Replied:

In the summer I wash my cavachon once a week & she also plays in the pool.I havnt seen a problem,tho you may want to check with your vet,I guess I will too.

Gail Replied:

Gail Replied:

Petco man told me once a month for bathing, but no way our Sugar can go that long – she loves to play outside, too. Vet said to bathe when she needs it. I use an oatmeal & baking soda shampoo. Sugar is a year old today.

• Lisa says:

I have had a Cavachon for 3 yrs now,of course she is my absolute pride and joy! She never sheds,I brush her daily & at the most there may be one or two hairs left in the brush and this is rare,usually the brush is clean of any hair. I have learned that Cavachons to be non shedding, one parent should be a CKCS and the other parent the Bichon Frise. Cavachons bred with other Cavachons eventually lose the traits we all so love including having a non shedding pup.I wanted to share with you since I knew it was one of the reasons I wanted this breed was no shedding and I love the minimal amount of barking also 🙂

• Gail says:

Our fur baby, Sugar, is almost a year old, and the delight of our lives. Thank you for the grooming tips – we have a continuing problem with knots and tangles in her fine fur – I have the comb and will be on the hunt for the mat removing comb ASAP! My husband has always been against animals in the house, so it was my idea to get a Cavachon, after seeing the puppies on Dogs 101. You might guess who is her biggest fan now and whom Sugar loves best – I don’t mind playing second fiddle at all because it’s so much fun to watch the bond between my husband and my pup.

Lori Replied:

You will love that mat tool if you have not gotten it already! Just watch your fingers!
    My husband was a little leery about adding a puppy to our empty nest, but he and Kasey are best friends also and I feel the same way you do about it 🙂

• Raquel says:

We got out little Abby at Christmas. She will be three months Feb. 1st. She is very sweet; the perfect pet. Thanks for all the information.

• Maureen says:

I have a cavashon (Buddy by name buddy by nature) but I need to find a harness for him that does not knot his fur under his front legs and round his neck. He is going for a cut next week and would like to get the new harness after his ‘knots’ have been removed – any help please?

Lori Replied:

Hi Maureen,
    We use the type of harness that is made from material the same as a collar or leash, not the soft puffy kind. We have not had any problem with knots.

• Anonymous says:

My Cavachon, Sissy sheds quite a bit. We brought her to the groomer and she has a short cut, but still a lot of shedding
    ! any helpful hints? oh, shes 6 months old now!! We love her soo much she is sooo sweet and sooo smart,however sometimes we hesitate to pick her up due to the shedding! Yet sometimes I grab her and dont care cuz she is sooo irrisistable!!!!

Lori Replied:

Hmm….as you probably already have heard, Cavachons are “no to low” shedding. I am wonder is Sissy has always shed like this? It could be that she is losing her “puppy coat.” This is something that is relatively short lived. Basically, the puppy sheds the fine puppy hair as the thicker and coarser adult coat comes in. When Kasey went through that, I thought I got ripped off in the no shed dog deal! I did not know that happened.
    Another thought that comes to mind, is Sissy an F1 Cavachon? In other words, were here parents a Cavalier and a Bichon? If one or both of her parents were Cavachons, the non-shedding trait could have been lost.

• Thomas says:

Lori, I bought an 11 month old cavachon. His coat is not curly and has very little wave. It’s not bone straight like the cavalier but is a bit on the wiry side. I know that their coats can be either wavy or curly –have you seen a cavachon fur/hair like this? Also, what is it like when their adult coat begins to come in? This is an awesome site!!Thanks!

Lori Replied:

Hi Thomas – I would imagine that your guy is already getting his adult coat. I remember Kasey went through a shedding phase – I was upset at that because I thought he was not supposed to shed – and his hair slowly got thicker and courser. I have noticed when I comb him that he has very straight hair mixed in with wavy hair. It’s strange, right after coming from the groomer, his hair seems all straight (she must have one powerful blow dryer!) As it grows out, it gets some wave, especially after a bath. But, when it gets long again, it looks much straighter.
    I would think that a Cavachon could/would pick up the traits of either parent. Kasey seems to have a good mix of both!

• Tracy says:

We just got our little baby Oliver (or Ollie as the kids like to call him) last week and we’re all so in love already! He’s so good with the kids and is smart to boot. So glad we decided to get a Cavachon!

Lori Replied:

Just wait – you have so much fun, love, and amazement ahead of you! Kasey will be 4 at the end of this month and he still amazes us with how smart he, still lights up our day! He was such a good addition for a couple of new “empty nesters!!”

• Marie says:

I brought my new rescue Cavachon for his grooming and they gave him a “Bischon” cut. I HATED it. What should I ask for?

Lori Replied:

I would say that the best thing to do would be to bring a picture of a Cavachon whose haircut you like. When I took Kasey for the first time, I asked her if she was familiar with Cavachons and how they should look and luckily she was.

Melanie Replied:

I clip our Cavachon myself. I started it with him as a puppy and he is so patient with me. I have found it best to keep him all one length on the body and maybe a little shorter on his head and face.

• Sherry says:

Our little “Miko” is the sweetest dog. We wanted a puppy to “grow up” with our grand babies. A small breed was a concern. Our Cavachon is amazing with them. Our grand daughter adores him and he her! She tells me he is her “best puppy friend”. He is gentle and playful and very protective of her (of all four of them)! When they go down for a nap he is at the door waiting for them when they wake up. I don’t know if we just got lucky or if all Cavachon’s are this good with small children. He is our little shadow. Happiest when he is near people. Very much a “people” pet. He just loves every one~~

Lori Replied:

Miko does certainly sound like a sweetie! Kasey is now, and always has been, just amazing around kids. I often wonder how I got so lucky! The people I know with babies have no concerns about Kasey being around them (I still watch carefully, of course!)

• Sandra says:

Our little man, Topher, is now 13 weeks old. He is the BEST dog we have ever had. We bring him to our insurance agency office every day and he loves to greet our customers with big smiles and a wagging tail. They often pick him up and offer him a little biscuit. He does not bark and is the most calm dog ever! I think my husband and I have definitely spread the good news about this breed. Oh, and he loves to go camping in our RV! We could not ask for a better family member.

Lori Replied:

Another big “Yay” for Cavachons! I think they are the best, too! Congratulations on getting Topher (and I am so glad he found you, too!) I wish you many, many years of happiness together. Send us a picture for “Kasey’s friends” page, we would love to add your new family member to ours!

• Angela says:

I have two Cavashons and they are the most loving dogs you could ever ask for. I think if you want a lovable cuddly dog they are the ones to get. Their mild mannered and they are good with cats and other dogs. Children love them. They don’t bark a lot unless they see a stray cat or the mail person.
    If you decide to get one you have made a wonderful choice and a friend for life.

Lori Replied:

I agree with you – however, you forgot to add “squirrels” to the bark list!!!!

Diane Replied:

Yes, add squirrels to the bark list! I am reading this site because I am aching inside ~ we had my Mom’s Cavachon “Charlie”, a little girl, for several months now because my Mom had fractured her neck. My Mom is now recovered enough to take Charlie back, and I and our other two dogs, an English Shepherd and a Chocolate Lab, are all devastated because our “Little Ray of Sunshine” isn’t here any more. Our house and world is empty. Charlie “talked” all the time to us…”woo-woo-woo” in the cutest little voice, and whispered little woofs too. Our lab Kodi is blind, and Charlie adapted to play with him with tiny little yips as she tumbled all over his head and shoulders, so he would know where she was at all times. Our shepherd Mariah keeps looking for Charlie, as her “mini-me” and fellow squirrel guard is gone. Sigh….I was never a small dog fan, but I am a BIG fan of Cavachons! What a perfect blend of intelligence and zest for living and love. They are high maintenance as far as grooming goes ~ I did all her grooming myself, but my husband just called me from San Diego, and they are taking Charlie to the groomers today, since my Mom can’t see well enough to clip her. They have tender skin and are really small dogs – they look a lot bigger than they really are because of their fluffy coats. Well, I could go on and on….but suffice to say, if you are trying to decide on a breed…a Cavachon is a great choice!

Anonymous Replied:

Diane,
    I am like you.I’m a guy who always preferred the bigger dogs.After we lost our sheltie, I didn’t want another dog,but my wife wanted a lap dog,so she saw a picture of a cavachon and fell in love and so we got her one.I have to say the first day home with us I fell in love with her.Belle is so much fun to have around.After a stressful day at work,the greeting I get makes the whole day melt away.Needless to say I she has won both our hearts over.Incredibly smart dogs who quickly fit into your life and your schedule.

sarah Replied:

Do you opposite the sex. I have a 4 1/2 male and am getting another male. I have heard different things, some say girl & Boy. some say it doesn’t matter. How do yours get a long?

sarah Replied:

do you have two males? I have a 4 1/2 male and I’m getting another male. I have heard to get a boy and girl. some say it doesn’t matter.