Here are pictures of some of our reader’s dogs!  We love getting pictures of other dogs – if you want to share a picture of your dog, please send us a picture and we’ll include it on this page, too!

117 Responses to “Kasey’s Friends”

• Chris says:

We have two Cavachons. We got our female, Ginger in late 2006. She is white and apricot, and is small (about 15 pounds). We loved her so much, we got her a playmate in 2009–Pepper, who is black and white and fully-grown weighs about 23 pounds. It was obvious when we bought him that he was going to be bigger; he was one of those chubby, clumsy puppies that we all find so irresistable.

Both dogs are sweet and want to be with you. They do sleep with us and I can’t imagine it any other way. We had a very easy time housebreaking them; I don’t think either of them ever had an accident in the house after they were about 5 months old. The two are “attached at the hip,” so to speak; one would be lost without the other. They are definitely people lovers, and Ginger especially, LOVES, LOVES, LOVES children. She has actually turned around children who were afraid of dogs. In fact, our neighbor said, “Thanks alot. We have gone from fear of dogs to ‘when can we get a puppy?'” Best of all, the little girl wants one “just like Ginger.”

We live in the Dallas, Texas area and purchased both of our puppies from Rosegate Kennels, which is located about 30 minutes or so north of Little Rock, Arkansas (I think about a 7 or 8 hour drive for us). We did visit the kennel and pick up both of our puppies, and we were very impressed with the facilities and the breeder. They have lots of indoor/outdoor kennels (temperature controlled), which are kept very clean. When you are “interviewing” puppies, they bring them into their home for you to spend time interacting and choosing.

While this breeder does have a couple of other breeds available, the Cavachons seem to be their biggest focus. They only breed and sell first generation Cavachons, as the breeder believes that you lose some of the desired traits and advantages if you breed a Cavachon to a Cavachon.

The only health issue we have had with either dog is something called “Cherry Eye,” where the inside corner of the eye gets red and puffy. It doesn’t appear to hurt them at all, but it is something that needs to be taken care of. Some vets do surgery to correct it, but ours treated Pepper with a medication, and it took care of the problem. We were told to expect to have to give the medication pretty much forever (it’s not expensive), but as time has gone on, we are down to only using it for a few days now and then when we see it flare up. Most of the time, we completely forget about it. The one thing I would say is that you want to catch it before it gets really bad (we did). Not sure if that has any bearing on what your outcome might be using medication only, but we caught it early in both dogs, and they have done very well. Ginger developed it about a year after Pepper, and only has VERY occasional flare-ups.

Grooming: I have them professionally groomed every three or four months. In between, I trim them up, brush them, and give them baths. I have my own Andis clippers, and have learned to clip them well enough to do upkeep, but am not good enough at it to do it all on my own – it’s nice having the baseline from a professional grooming. I also have blunt-tip scissors that I use for trimming around their eyes and for trimming tails and ears. They are both pretty well behaved during grooming, but we started bathing and combing at a young age.

Feeding: we feed Science Diet Lite small bites for adults, mainly because chubby little Pepper has a tendency to put on weight if we’re not careful. Ginger is a little pickier eater, and at times will miss 2 or 3 meals in a row (we feed 1/2 cup, twice daily). We put the food down, and if either of them doesn’t eat within about 10 minutes, we pick it up. As long as they aren’t exhibiting any signs of not feeling well, we don’t worry when two or three meals are missed. They will eat when they are hungry. We have tried other quality food, Blue Buffalo among them, but they seem to eat the Science Diet most consistently, so we always end up coming back to that.

Their personalities are both very sweet, but they are different from each other. Pepper is more layed-back, Ginger more active and antsy. They are extremely smart and easy to train, they shed very little, and we really haven’t had any serious behavior problems (jumping on people they are excited to see is the one issue we haven’t completely solved). After having these two dogs, I can’t imagine buying any other breed.

• Lori says:

I just love looking at all the pictures of everyone’s adorable Cavachons! Thanks for sharing!

Kathleen, Keely's mom Replied:

Keely, 15 mo., is pictured with her tennis ball, one of the few things that outlive her chewing. It is a real tennis ball as the doggie types are shredded in no time. We call Keely, “The Destroyer”. Even Kong toys don’t hold up. Happily she does know what are her toys and what are no- nos.
    So maybe this is a breed trait! I will check into West Paw Designs, thanks.

• Margaret, Toby's Mam says:

Thank you for putting Toby’s picture on your site! I love reading all about Kasey – Toby is very similar. We have just had snow and Toby has had a great morning running around trying to eat it. He is now chewing a old sock. Just wondered Toby has started to chew everything in sight and has destroyed four of his toys in the space of a week – did Kasey do this at 13 months? Nothing is safe and we have to keep everything out of his way! Will have to buy more KONG toys as they seem more robust.

Love all the other pictures!

Lori Replied:

LOL! Kasey still destroys his toys! Thankfully, he has always left our things alone! It is pretty funny though, he has a basket full of unstuffed toys (for some reason he loves to go in through the eyes to get the stuffing out?)! He still loves all of them, even as pitiful as they look! It is so funny to see him carry these ragged things around.
    I got him one of those unstuffed toys once, and he did not find it all that enjoyable. He goes back to the ones he unstuffed himself.
    **be watchful of squeakers in the toys – I yank them out as soon as Kasey gets a toy opened up. I really fear if he ate one it would do damage or choke him.

Lori Replied:

Also, I recently came across toys made by “West Paw Designs” they had some in my vets office and Kasey actually played with them. (He never had any interest in Kong toys, even when stuffed with p-butter or treats.) They are the rubber type – and have shown no wear whatsoever in over 6 mos. They are even guaranteed for a one time free replacement if your dog does destroy them! I figured I could not go wrong. We had a frisbee for the summer, which is still perfect! Kasey would destroy a normal one in one day before this. I would have to throw them away once he got plastic chunks broken off. We also got this “S” shaped toy that he will chase after and/or just chew on.
    I got ours on Amazon (they were discounted) but I am sure they have them at retail stores also.

Margaret, Toby's Mam Replied:

Thanks for your information Lori. We bought Toby two more toys today and he ripped the stuffing out of the first one within half an hour!! I have now taken all the stuffing out of his toys and like you say it is funny to see him carry his ragged things around! I also take out the squeakers as soon as he opens up the toy for the same reason as you state. I certainly look on Amazon for “West Paw Designs” to see if they have them in the UK as they sound much more durable! He is now fast asleep on the windowsill at home (his favourite spot)! Hope you are ok and not affected by storm sandy. Take care and thank you again! x

• Kai says:

I live in Columbus, Ohio and we got our Cavachon from Foxglove Farm. She is now 2 years old and is sweet as can be. I searched for months online and kept coming back to Foxglove Farm.
    I still go to their site to see the new puppies. If I could, I would have gotten 2, but they are quite pricey. I found their prices have gone up since we got our puppy, 2 years ago, prices ranged from $900 up to $2500 and now they go up to $5000 which I think is a bit much. They are beautiful compared to any I have ever seen. Another great thing was that the breeder crate trains her puppies from the get go. Our puppy from the first night slept in her crate, never cried, we never had a problem with her. She is a happy puppy, smart, playful and a joy. The only complaint i would say we have is that she gets a little anxiety in the car. If I ever did decide to get another, I would definitely go back to Foxglove Farm.

• Anita says:

Louie, my Cavachon puppy, is 5 months old and I adore him. My breeder is Dick and Linda Allender who have had BlueView Kennel in Shelbyville,Indiana for more than 30 years. They recommended that I begin private puppy training with a gentleman who trained dogs for Armed Services for all of his career. At 13 weeks Louie began training rather than wait until he had already developed unacceptable habits. He knows to give it drop it and leave it as the situation warrants. He can sit and stay for 5 minutes and has learned to sit, heel and stay while I walk away beginning with right foot even when cars, birds or people are near. Right now he is learning to begin walking by my side ONLY when I begin to walk with my left foot. We only have had 3 accidents since I bought him at 12 weeks—perhaps I’m the one potty trained!! Mr Blackburn, the trainer, uses only abundant praise as reward. He is very specific about tone of voice and consistently using specific words for commands. As preparation for teaching Louie to “come” I am not to use his name for anything unless it is for something “pleasant, fun, or for praise!”

• Maxine says:

Has anyone had experience with Foxglove Farms? I’m in MI and I can’t seem to find anyone here reputable that breeds them. I’m wil willing to drive to OH.

Lori Replied:

I do not know them personally, but I do know they are quite popular.
    There is another breeder here in Ohio called Briarthorn Designer Puppies – you can check them out, too. I have visited there and they were wonderful people who really loved their puppies.

• Cindy Hill says:

Hi – Loving your site!! Meet Norbie – My Cavachon. We brought him into our home on March 22nd of this year. All in all Norbie is healthy. He eats well, runs & plays….the only thing is he does not bark at all? And he was diagnosed with Kennel Cough several weeks ago and been put on an antibiotic twice now. The antibiotic is done now – yet he still rattles and has a loose cough. I have been giving him pediatric Robittusin every morning which works throughout the entire day without much coughing….yet every morning he wakes up coughing? Could he have allergies? Also we are smokers….we don’t smoke around Norbiee but the vet mentioned cigarrette smoke could be an issue? Your insight would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!!

• Amanda says:

We got Philly (pictured above!!!) just a few weeks ago and so far we are the happiest puppy owners ever! He is so sweet and cuddly but also loves to play. I think thats what we love best about the breed because you get the best of both worlds. House breaking and training is going well (still the occasional accidents) but for the most part he is very well behaved. He is also quite the popular pup. We recently brought him to a big event at ECU and we had tons of people stopping to pet him and ask “What kind of dog is that?!!?” Needless to say we are proud puppy parents. He was about 9 weeks when the picture was taken and he has grown so much since then. We haven’t seen many other black and tan Cavachons so we were surprised and fell in love the moment we saw him. I would definitely recommend the breed to anyone (even first time puppy owners like us!) and especially if you have a small home/apartment because he seems to tire himself out just running laps in the living room 🙂 Love to see everyone’s pictures and comments!

Anonymous Replied:

Hello, we live in Va Beach and see you are near ECU ~ Greenville, NC ~ Can you tell me did you get your puppy from a local private breeder in NC? If so, can you email me at hester892@cox.net with the Breeder information. Thanks!

• Lynnette says:

We are looking for a Cavachon puppy, we are trying to do some research, it very difficult to make a decision when there are sooo many sites selling puppies that you dont know what to think. Some are very expensive and others from $500 to $800. We need some advice. What should we look for, in a breeder? I don’t feel comfortable buying a dog from a website, not knowing the background of the parents or the sellers. We live in Maryland, we already contact Judy at Gleneden, and we know they are one of the best breeders, but the puppies are $1,200, and it is out our budget.

Lori Replied:

I have gotten this very same question several times. Here are some of the things I did/questions I asked when trying to find a breeder:
    Once I had finally settled on the kind of puppy we wanted I did an internet search for Cavachons up for adaoption. I looked around as much as possible. I mostly used puppyfind.com. I made a list of potential puppies and potential breeders. There were none nearby, so I knew I would either have to drive (alot) or have the little guy shipped.
    Once I had my list, I tried to do reasearch on the breeders going so far as to find the addresses (sometimes that was difficult) and using google maps satellite views to zoom in on the property to see what it looked like! I was so nervous about getting a puppy mill dog. Then, I called each of the breeders, telling them the puppy(s) I was interested in. I basically interviewed the breeder, I had searched the internet to help me figure out what I should ask. I had a list of questions ready, asked all of them, and took notes. Some breeders did not let a customer visit the place, that was an immediate red flag for me – I would want to be able to see the place where my puppy was born and nurtured the first few weeks. Even though I knew I could not visit most of the places, I wanted to know that that would have been an option – I did not start out telling them I would not be able to go there.
    I also asked about the parents of the puppy I was interested in – size, age, health, # of litters, anything else I could think of. I asked for pictures of the parents and a current picture of the puppy to be sent to me.
    If someone did not cooperate with my requests, again, it raised a red flag.
    I tried to find reviews, but most of the time the only testimonials were on the web site and I did not necessarily trust those, a breeder can post whatever they want on their web site and make it look real.
    I ended up choosing a place in Iowa. The owners were a husband and wife team. To this day, I do not know much about the actual home, but in talking with them on the phone several – make that many – times, I was content with all of the info and conversations we had. They never made me feel like I was bothering them and welcomed my calls. They would return my call if I left a message. They worked with me on getting Kasey on the flight and airline I asked for (even though flights were delayed and the day did no go as planned.)
    Thankfully, everything worked out for us and we have a healthy, happy, adorable doggie going on 4 years old!
    I think I need to write an article about finding a breeder!

• Jen says:

We have had our Cavachon puppy for a few weeks now. We are crate training him however; we are having issues with him barking at night. When we put him in the crate when we go to bed, he goes right in without any issues at all. He will then wake up in the middle of the night and start barking. I use that cue as potty time. He goes out and does his business but then he barks constantly when going back in his crate. He ends up waking the entire family and we haven’t had sleep in 4 nights! Does anyone have any suggestions? I don’t think he dislikes his crate otherwise, we would have problems when we first put him in there at night. He’s a great puppy and we love him to pieces but we all need some sleep! My personal email is jenstock20@gmail.com if anyone can provide some suggestions! THANKS!

Lori Replied:

Hi Jen – I sure hope you all have gotten some sleep by now! I was wondering where his crate is? We have Kasey’s in our closet(It’s not cruel like it sounds – it is a very big closet the way our house is laid out and even has a window 🙂 ) When we first got Kasey, we had the crate in our bedroom to have him close to us. Well, that did not last long! He would bark from there and I think it was because he could see us and wanted to be with us. Once we put him in another room it was fine. I set the alarm to take him outside during the night when he was very young and put him back in the crate right away.
    We no longer put him in his crate at night – he actually sleeps with us – but during the “housebreaking” time, I felt it was an absolute necessity. It was probably about a year or so that he stayed in there at night.
    He still goes in there when we are gone – I just say “Kasey, go to your bed” and he runs along and goes in there. He even goes in there on his own and falls asleep during the day sometimes. He really loves his safe little home!

Anonymous Replied:

Thanks Lori! Yes, we are getting some sleep finally! We actually had him in our dining room which is on the other end of the house (but where we could hear him). I think with the crate being a wire one and being in a large room, it was too open for him and didn’t feel secure. We moved the crate to the laundry room which is a decent size room and I put old bath mats on top of it to make it more secure (not covering it completely to allow for air!). We close the door but I think that made him feel more secure. I started turning the dryer on when we would put him in there (partly to drown out the barking!) but I think the humming sound soothed him!

He is a great puppy for our girls (ages 13, 6 and 2) and he is so good with them all. He loves them to pieces, especially when they take him outside and just run!

• Paula says:

How fun to find this site! Our Cavachon Cody is now just a little over a year old and we just love him. We live in Maine and we were able to get our Cavachon through a wonderful breeder in Virginia that my friends knew well. We thought she was wonderful and she helped make arrangements for someone to meet us in the NY area to get our new puppy. I will post a picture of Cody soon. Our children love him. I appreciated reading your postings on grooming, because I have been working on brushing him and definitely find lots of mats and do bring him to a groomer, but I also want to keep up with it at home, so I wanted to read what others do to keep up with the baths, combing etc…I am happy to talk about training, which actually went pretty well, and other things. Our dog doesn’t bark a lot, just sometimes when he sees something outside or if someone comes to the door…he can go days without barking. He is also Mr. Affection with everyone. WE love him and would recommend a Cavachon to anyone!

Rachel Replied:

I live in Virginia ( Norfolk) and would love a Cavachon puppy! Could you tell me the name of the breeder? I’ve been looking for a puppy for quite some time and it would be great to find one locally! Thanks!

• Francesca Gould says:

I am located in Cincinnati, OH and have narrowed in on the cavachon as the breed of choice. Willing to drive up to 5 hours to locate our new family member, though prefer a shorter distance (if possible). Anyone know any good, reputable breeders?

Lori Replied:

The only Breeder I have ever met was in Kent, Ohio. The drive would probably be within your limits. They were very nice people and very good with their puppies! I witnessed it first hand. They were called Briarthorn Designer Puppies, but they do only breed F1 Cavachons.

I have alway said I wouldn’t recommend a breeder I have not met, even the one I got Kasey from because I was never there.
    I am sure there are many good breeders, you just have to do as much research as you possibly can!

Does anyone else have a recommended breeder?

Paula Replied:

Hi there,

We got our Cavachon from Judith Hahn at Gleneden in Virginia. My friends had gotten two labradoodles from her and they loved her and found her wonderful, so when we were exploring, I went to her site and contacted her. She was so helpful and I cannot say enough good things about her and the dog we got from her. She helped arrange transportation to the New York area, though I know she even has someone who goes to CT as well to bring dogs.I’m not sure how far a drive it would be from Ohio…but she may be able to have someone meet you partway. I would totally check with her.

We love Cavachons and I would get another in a minute!!!

Jen Replied:

We live in Charleston, SC and we just got our Cavachon from a breeder here (she ships as well). Our breeder was very knowledgable and helpful when selecing our new member of the family. My sister just got her Cavachon from Gleneden (Judith’s daughter lives here in Charleston) and they were wonderful as well.

• Alina says:

Awh!the cavachon in the flower pot is just soo cute.

• Tammy Holbrook says:

We’ve had “Bella” our Cavachon for a week now and just love her! I also love this website! I’ve found it to be very helpful. Does anyone have any advice for tear stains?

Lori Replied:

Thanks Tammy!
    I used the Angel’s Eyes for a while, and it did work. I quit that after a while. It was very expensive plus I really started to wonder what I was giving him!
    The problem did seem to get better as Kasey got older. There are a few home remedies if you do a google search. I don’t remember what anymore, or if they work!

• ?????dont know says:

What is the best brand name food for an 8 week old cavachin puppy

Anonymous Replied:

There are loads of good foods out there, but dry foods like James Wellbeloved and Science Plan tend to go down with mine… which she has been on since she was that age 🙂

Anonymous Replied:

I’m not sure if they sell it in america but Healthy Paws is a very good make for dry dog food! I’ve fed Healthy Paws to my Border Collie who now lives on a farm doing what he does best (Herding!) and will defenatly be feeding Healthy Paws to my future Cavachon (Whitch I’m getting sep 2013!) :).

• ?????dont know says:

What is the best brand name food for an 8 week old cavachin puupy

• Emma says:

I was thinking about getting a cavachon puppy. But i dont know if it would like being outside sleeping in a kennel. PLease reply
    -Emma

Lori Replied:

I am sorry I did not see this question earlier.
    However, I really do not know the definitive answer. Cavachons are definitely “people lovers” and love to be around everyone. So, just in that regard I would have concerns. They are also a relatively small dog. I cannot picture a Cavachon being an outdoor dog. I have never heard from anyone that had a Cavachon that slept outside.
    I guess you could ask a Cavachon breeder or a vet.

• Lori says:

Rhonda-
    I was lucky enough to meet your puppies today! My husband and I visited Briarthorn to meet Kim and Mark and their latest litter of puppies. The care and attention they give to the puppies is amazing. I am completely comfortable in saying they are truly great, responsible breeders. You should feel lucky to have gotten one of their puppies!
    You will have so much fun with the new addition to your family, and it is so nice that two siblings will remain close! They are real sweeties, keep us updated on them and do send a picture to post with “Kasey’s Friends!”

• RHONDA says:

Briarthorndesigners in kent ohio is a great breeder we are getting our puppies there next week and they are beautiful. I am getting a sable and white and he has more sable then white and just beautiful. The husband and wife are great people and love there animals very much. I highly recommend looking at there website.

• tac says:

I mean any good breeders.

Buffy's mom Replied:

We got Buffy from E&K Kennels in NC. She is our first dog and we were not as educated as we are now, so we didn’t do the research that we would now. However, they did promise that the parents were free of problems, and Buffy came to us with her initial vaccinations and healthy as could be, other than ear mites, which our vet said is pretty common. She is 3 years old now and weighs about 13 pounds and has had no serious health issues.

• tac says:

does any body know any go breeders?

• Anonymous says:

so happy to find this site!!!!! Thank you!!!!

• Ashley says:

Love all of your information ! Any tips on picking a puppy from a litter ?

• Anonymous says:

Does anyone else have a cavachon that nips and bites in play? Mya is 7 months and I really think she just wants to play, but it scares the little kids and is unacceptable anyway. Do they outgrow this?

• Chloe's Mom says:

So glad to find this site and see all the adorable cavachons. This is without a doubt the happiest, funniest and friendly breed of dog I have ever had. They love everyone and are very smart, but my Chloe does have a little stubborn streak.

Myas Mom Replied:

Mya does too! What do you do about it? By the way, Chloe is adorable! How old and how big is she?

• Mary says:

Hi…

We just found a cute litter of Cav’s. From your collective experience, do you think the puppy’s hair usually changes as it gets older, i.e., if it’s mostly straight does it stay straight; or if it’s wavy, does it tend to get curlier…or just stay wavy.

Also, any skin problems?

Thanks!

Lori Replied:

Go for it!
    Here is our experience with the hair….
    Kasey had a lot of the “peach” coloring as a puppy. As he got older, he got more and more white looking. Now, you can barely see the peach coloring in his ears and a few areas on his back – very faint though.
    His hair stayed pretty much the same as far as the curliness goes. He kind of has some areas that tend to be a little curlier (more so when wet) but for the most part he had a little bit of wave when young and it is pretty much the same.
    We have not experienced skin problems – except he did have a “hot spot” once that he kept chewing at. I had to take him to the vet and he had some medicine, both topical and oral. It cleared up quickly, thankfully. I had never even heard of that before.
    All in all, knock on wood, Kasey has been very happy and healthy, and has brought so much joy to our family!

Buffy's mom Replied:

I second what Lori said, except to add that we are experiencing a skin issue right now. Buffy is 3 and for the last 9 months or so she’s had “whitehead” like bumps pop up all over her body, very much like pimples on a teenager. They last about the same amount of time. The vet didn’t know what they were, so we are going to take her to see a dermatologist to see if we can get a diagnosis, unless any of you have experienced this and can offer advice?

Lori Replied:

Keep us posted, I am curious, too.

Lori Replied:

I guess I should be saying “what did you find out?” That was a while ago!

• Myas Mom says:

Love to see pictures of everyone’s cavachons!